First cohort of Biology graduates on path to success

The first cohort of graduates from the University of Lincoln’s Biology degree will collect their degree certificates at Lincoln Cathedral next week.

The graduation marks the end of three year’s hard work for the students on the BSc (Hons) Biology course, which was launched at the University in September 2011.

The University’s broad-based degree in Biology builds on strengths in animal science, animal behaviour, and biomedical and bioveterinary sciences. It came an equal 23rd place out of 83 institutions for overall satisfaction in the recent National Student Survey, and was ranked 13th for personal development.

Students are now planning to build on their undergraduate education with jobs in the field or further study on Masters and PhD courses, ranging from the structure and function of the bee genome to ecology and medicine.

Katherine Beadle, 21, from Shillington, Hertfordshire, is to begin a PhD at Rothamsted Research – the longest running agricultural research station in the world. She will be studying bee toxicogenomics, with the ultimate aim of developing bee-safe insecticides for pest control.

Katherine said: “The course helped me to develop a range of research skills which are widely applicable, and have increased the number of opportunities available to me. The careers service has been excellent and has definitely helped me get this PhD studentship. Because Lincoln is smaller than other universities I felt that I got more support here than I would have at other institutions.”

First-class graduate Lilly Harvey, 21, from Northamptonshire, will be returning to the University of Lincoln to undertake a Masters by Research in Ecology.

“Looking back I believe that coming to Lincoln was the best thing that could have happened to me,” said Lilly, who will specialise in evolutionary biology.

“My favourite experience was going on the overseas field course in the Santa Lucίa Cloud Forest Reserve in Ecuador. I became closer with everyone on the course and my lecturers, and made many fantastic memories of trekking through the forest, learning about the environment, animals, plants, a new culture, and swimming in waterfalls. The course has been amazing. I have loved that we have been able to learn a varied range of biology, from medical, human biology to plant sciences, evolution and behaviour.”

Another student set to graduate at the 2.30pm ceremony on 11th September is international student Daniel Addai, 22, from Germany. Daniel combined his studies with being a student representative for the School of Life Sciences.

“I loved being a student representative, and the academics were always looking out for their students’ interests,” said Daniel, who is planning to build on his degree training by studying medicine.

“The atmosphere at Lincoln is wonderful, it is truly an exciting and vibrant place to study. My course has helped me grow and adapt to student life and also laid a solid platform for my further studies.”

From September 2014, the course will be based in the newly-opened Joseph Banks Laboratories in the Lincoln Science and Innovation Park.