Life after Lincoln’s Animal Behaviour Welfare course

From hand-raising cheetah cubs to caring for grown lions, Animal Behaviour and Welfare alumni Thomas Trew takes his University of Lincoln degree all the way to Africa.

atheno walk

Read his story here:

“I went straight to Namibia where I volunteered for a month at Harnas Wildlife Foundation. I cared for and rehabilitated injured and orphaned animals. It was a very hands on approach where I was able to interact with and have some incredible, very personal experiences with many different species of African wildlife.

Missy Jo

“From hand-raising cheetah cubs that were orphaned after a farmer shot their mother (being a few days old they were far too young to fend for themselves and would have died in the wild) and sharing a bed with baby Chacma baboons which cling on close to you at night as they fear the dark (or more accurately the vulnerability of being in the dark); to caring for fully grown cheetahs, leopards and lions.

“I also helped with radio tracking successfully reintroduced cheetahs in the wild, to keep updated on their health and welfare. There were a great many things I did whilst there, and I came back with a lot of stories and a wealth of memories and experiences that will stay with me for life.

baby cheetah ELVISSSSSS

“I was hoping to go back out to Namibia to work at Harnas as a co-ordinator for volunteers, however due to a change in management my plans fell through and I wasn’t given the position. However I stayed determined to return to Africa, just with a different goal.

“I decided that whilst I loved the hands-on experience of wildlife conservation, the effects of my work were limited to the animals in my immediate vicinity; if I wanted to make a bigger difference, I had to work on a bigger scale. So I’ve decided to go down the path of Conservation scientific research.

Thomas' colleague Monique and cheetah, Max
Thomas’ colleague Monique and cheetah, Max

Thomas has been successful in a job search and will be heading back out to Africa as a Project Manager and Research Assistant in the Guassa mountains of Ethiopia.

He will be conducting behavioural and ecological research on Gelada baboons in a year-long project.

“During my time in Ethiopia I will be camping in the mountains the Gelada baboons inhabit at around 3600m above sea level. The research I am conducting is part of an ongoing project that is run by Dr. Peter J. Fashing and Dr. Nga Nguyen, both professors at California state University, Fullerton.